'Quiwi is copy protected'
Author:Markus Benko (registered user: 16 posts )
Date: Tue, Jul 31st, 2012 @ 19:00 ( . )

Today I've dumped Quiwi with KryoFlux and track 1 sector 20 is clearly partially written at 4.0us instead of 3.25us (speed zone 0 instead of 3 if I remember correctly), which is obviously not a mastering error.

And it actually *is* a copy protection: The game is a Trivial Pursuit clone, so everybody not speaking German now has an idea what's the game about. As in Trivial Pursuit, questions have to be answered. The game is controlled with joystick in port 1. Just enter anything as player's name and press F1. When "KNOPF" appears in the upper left corner, press fire button in port 1 to see the first question.

When copy protection check failed, all questions (including the first) will be "Ist dies eine Raubkopie?" -> fire -> correct answer is "Ja!!!". Translation: Q "Is this an illegal copy?" A "Yes!!!" - great sense of humour. :)

I remembered that older versions of VICE passed bytes from G64 files regardless of selected read density, so I tried to decode that sector properly (from flux timings to GCR, many manual corrections due to weak data in that 4.0us area) and succeeded. After that I modified the DTC-generated G64 file to hold my decoded track 1 and gave it a try in WinVICE 2.2 - and it works! Tried it in CCS64 3.8 and it worked, too. So does CCS64 3.8 also ignore selected read density? Maybe.

The more advanced the disk emulation of an emulator is, the smaller is the chance the protection will pass, i.e. soon there will be no emulator left actually letting the protection pass.

So in the end Quiwi is another disk which will need working density / speed zone map support in emulators to work properly and work on purpose from a G64 image.

Unluckily the G64 format only supports four different cell widths in that map which is sufficient for Quiwi but will probably fail for some other case.

It's time for G64v2. Btw: Pete, you've got an email.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Replies:
--* Quiwi is copy protected
8/17/2012 @ 17:01--JimDrew
8/19/2012 @ 18:12----Nate

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q35=1716233349 - Threads: / 1716233349