'Vizawrite 128'
Author:Nate (guest: search)
Date: Wed, Aug 30th, 2006 @ 16:21 ( . )

If it's a cartridge, it's likely it actually has some program logic in it. Cartridges have to decode some address space so they aren't a simple resistor. If it was attached to the cassette port, it's almost certainly a resistor network.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

'Vizawrite 128'
Author:Kevin (guest: search)
Date: Fri, Sep 01st, 2006 @ 21:39 ( . )

If it's a cart, could you simply dump the code and re-burn it? Are the EPROMS (?) that the C-64 carts used readily available today?

'Vizawrite 128'
Date: Sun, Sep 03rd, 2006 @ 22:24 ( . )

I did a search and found this...

[link]

Could you just copy the cart onto the EPROM?

It seems that the preservation project has to extend to more than just floppies in some cases???

'Vizawrite 128'
Date: Thu, Sep 14th, 2006 @ 21:45 ( . )

Probably a better link here. May have looked like I was selling something...

[link]

How many games used an external cart like this for protection? Pete, will you now archive these also (on EPROM) just to be complete?

'Vizawrite 128'
Author:Mayhem (guest: search)
Date: Fri, Sep 15th, 2006 @ 06:06 ( . )

I know of two other cart/disk combos: Calc Result and Viking Raider. The former is a spreadsheet program, vastly more expansive than the cart only Calc Result Easy from Handic.

The other is a game released in Canada which has some of the disk handling routines on the cart because most of the C64's memory is used with the game (according to the programmer who randomly found my site a couple of years ago).

'Vizawrite 128'
Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Fri, Sep 15th, 2006 @ 08:38 ( . )

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately, I don't have the cart. Mayhem is the cartridge master, so maybe he can dump it at some point. :)

Pete

'Vizawrite 128'
Author:Mayhem (guest: search)
Date: Sun, Sep 17th, 2006 @ 16:04 ( . )

Knowing the size of the cart would help. If it's 16K max, then it shouldn't be a problem. Anything above, and its really depending if one of Markus' existing programs will handle it. I have a few that nothing will dump yet. Sadly Markus is very, very busy with life and hardly has time nowadays to help with the C64 community :(

'Vizawrite 128'
Author:Boson (guest: search)
Date: Sat, Dec 02nd, 2006 @ 23:51 ( . )

The PET version of Visicalc had a ROM chip that served as copy protection. I thought I read somewhere that the chip contained a lot of math routines- useful subroutines. Easy way to get some memory back.

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q120=1716211287 - Threads: / 1716211287