'nibtools - serial nibbling inferior?'
Author:oldgary (registered user: 1 posts )
Date: Mon, Jul 20th, 2015 @ 04:17 ( . )

I've been using nibtools with a 1571 using the "-s" switch that allows use of the stock cable, and I've noticed a number of disks that seem to yield broken images when converted to a g64.

Among these are:
Ziggurat
Beach Head
Beach Head II.

The first two go into some sort of infinite disk reading loop, and BH2 shows the "anti copy" lecture.

All of these are available for download in various places so I'm more concerned about what's going wrong than anything else. (I like understanding things rather than mysteries. :-)

I even used the -pp option with nibconv for Beach Head II, which is supposed to be specifically designed for that nib, but the image still doesn't work.

So then I got to thinking, perhaps the serial nibbling mechanism is fundamentally inferior. Is this true? Would wiring up a parallel cable yield more reliable images?

The strange thing is, using something like Fast Hackem's BeachHead II specific menu item to write out to the g64 *still* doesn't yield a valid image.

So, it's also possible it's a VICE Problem. I'm using Vice 2.4, which may be the latest release, but it's hard to tell since the SourceForge page appears to be down. I'm running with True Drive Emulation, but not Virtual Device Traps, an have the emulated drive set to 1541-II.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

'nibtools - serial nibbling inferior?'
Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Mon, Jul 20th, 2015 @ 11:12 ( . )

I am not aware of any difference in the data acquired from parallel vs SRQ nibbling.

In the case you mention, Beach-Head II, that is not pirateslayer- that is PirateBusters. It's been a while since I looked at it, but if it's similar (earlier version) it is a problem with framing. I thought newer versions of Vice took care of that problem, so if not, it could be a track length issue. Either way, the -pp doesn't handle PirateBusters (only one title ever used it).

The others, I'm not sure, but almost always its a framing issue. If the track has no sync, you only have 1/8 of a chance or less to get luck and have the data framed how Vice will like it. You have to bitshift the tracks to fix it. Again, I thought this was fixed in newer Vice, so that may not be it.

Feel free to send me the images and I'll check it.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q41=1716234829 - Threads: / 1716234829