'Power supply query. '
Author:Danker Than Clanker (registered user: 6 posts )
Date: Wed, Apr 16th, 2014 @ 18:54 ( . )

Hey guys, I just got myself A C64. I just wanted to know if there's any variations of power supplies between different variants of C64.

I'm new to the World of Commodore and got a very good deal. £45 for C64, 1541-II and Cassette Deck. Plus about 100 games, both Cassette and Floppy Disk. With the Original Joystick to play them with! (I also have some Atari Sticks and 9 pin connector controllers too, for those 2 player games)

The only downside to this deal though, I am missing the power pack for the unit. The guy hadn't used it in 10 years or so. Being an older console; I'm fairly confident it will work first time.

I hate to say this, at the age of 20, but they really don't make consoles like they used to.

I just want to know if I can use any Commodore 64 power pack with no negative impacts on my current pride and joy.

Thanks for reading guys. And thanks for doing me a solid in telling me what I need to know.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

'Power supply query. '
Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Thu, Apr 17th, 2014 @ 14:55 ( . )

The C64 power supplies are all the same within the same power system (i.e. 110V or 220V coutries).

There is no power difference between the models of C64.

'Power supply query. '
Date: Fri, Apr 18th, 2014 @ 07:31 ( . )

On 04/17/2014 @ 14:55, Pete Rittwage wrote :
The C64 power supplies are all the same within the same power system (i.e. 110V or 220V coutries).
:
: There is no power difference between the models of C64.
--

Thanks a lot, bud! I couldn't find any proper details about the power supply anywhere and naturally, as I just got the thing I'd hate to fry it with the wrong power supply.

I'll also be doing live streams from the console, so I want to make everything perfect for the broadcast. :P

'Power supply query. '
Date: Thu, Apr 24th, 2014 @ 19:33 ( . )

On 04/17/2014 @ 14:55, Pete Rittwage wrote :
:
: There is no power difference between the models of C64.
--

Hey, I just got a power supply for the C64 and it won't turn on. No noise from the transformer. I tried the disk drive to see if the transformer turns on when power is needed. Which it did. So I know it's not the transformer's the fault.
Fuse changed, plug changed and tested the wire for breaks.

Would I be right in thinking that the most common C64 fault would be the internal 1A fuse? Or could there be something more sinister.

Cheers!

'Power supply query. '
Date: Thu, Apr 24th, 2014 @ 20:18 ( . )

No power at all? I would check the power supply to make sure it's outputting 5VDC, and 9VAC as it should.

There is a fuse in the C64, and on rare occasions the power switch could be bad...

'Power supply query. '
Date: Thu, Apr 24th, 2014 @ 20:27 ( . )

On 04/24/2014 @ 20:18, Pete Rittwage wrote :
No power at all? I would check the power supply to make sure it's outputting 5VDC, and 9VAC as it should.
:
: There is a fuse in the C64, and on rare occasions the power switch could be bad...
:
--

Could you do me a favour and plug in your C64 transformer without plugging it into the commodore and see if it makes a noise. Also try again with it plugged in and post your findings please? It may confirm what I need to know.

I can't see any issues with the C64 Mainboard, but I'm not ruling anything out yet. I also tested the internal fuse. That's not an issue.

Cheers.

'Power supply query. '
Date: Thu, Apr 24th, 2014 @ 20:30 ( . )

It should be silent, not buzzing. They don't make any noise normally.

'Power supply query. '
Date: Thu, Apr 24th, 2014 @ 20:32 ( . )

On 04/24/2014 @ 20:30, Pete Rittwage wrote :
It should be silent, not buzzing. They don't make any noise normally.
:
--

All transformers make a little noise. You may have to put your ear close or against it to hear it, but it does give out a small amount of sound.

'Power supply query. '
Date: Thu, Apr 24th, 2014 @ 20:53 ( . )

On 04/24/2014 @ 20:32, Danker Than Clanker wrote :
On 04/24/2014 @ 20:30, Pete Rittwage wrote :
: It should be silent, not buzzing. They don't make any noise normally.
: :
: --
:
:

:
: All transformers make a little noise. You may have to put your ear close or against it to hear it, but it does give out a small amount of sound.
--

Thinking about it, if you're in the U.S they may not make noise as their input is DC, if I remember right. The U.K it's 240V 50Hz

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q119=1716209971 - Threads: / 1716209971