'Newcomer... MacOSX, ZoomFloppy and 1541!'
Author:indiehouse (registered user: 9 posts )
Date: Thu, Jan 30th, 2014 @ 05:32 ( . )

Hey guys,

I have just recently gotten on board archiving C64 disks and have had limited success running OpenCBM through Terminal to create d64 images.

I realise copy protection poses a huge problem for OpenCBM and so Nibtools is my next stop. I am days away from finishing my parallel mod on my 1541-II drive and am wondering if there is a beginner's guide on how to start out.

I have a pretty descent library of C64 originals and am keen to preserve them as soon as I can. So far I have read a bunch of articles and posts on types of copy protection, and the different releases of Nibtools and how users have had mixed results. It seems things are more complex than I first anticipated and would like to start on the right foot. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Rob

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Thu, Jan 30th, 2014 @ 08:25 ( . )

Hi Rob,

For the most part, the version differences center around conversion to G64/D64 and emulator versions, not the disk reading process itself. For that part, no switches are needed, and just grab the latest version, or else the one shipped with ZoomFloppy distribution.

-Pete

Date: Thu, Jan 30th, 2014 @ 18:13 ( . )

Thanks Pete.

There wasn't any version of Nibtools shipped with the ZoomFloppy, but rather, I followed the download/install procedure from Lallafa's page. [link]

So, once I get 'nibbling' I can send you the nib files? If I include the necessary release information of the game then you can cross reference it with your database to ensure a perfect read?

Does Nibtools come with the needed functions to convert nib to d64 and g64? I'm running Vice (it seems to be the only emulator that will run on MacOSX10.8) and would look at using SD2IEC at some later stage.

Thanks!
Rob

Date: Thu, Jan 30th, 2014 @ 18:39 ( . )

I see - I've never tested on Mac, but that should work. It references older version there, though.

Nibconv does all the file conversions for you, and yes, you can just e-mail me the images.

Date: Thu, Jan 30th, 2014 @ 23:30 ( . )

Okay, my parallel connection seems to be working wonderfully with ZoomFloppy.

Just one thing I'm noticing… so far I have 'nib read' a bunch of disks and they're all showing problems on Track 36 [E2S16]. Is this usual or would it suggest a fault with my hardware (given it's happening at the same place each time).

Should have some stuff to email through soon. ;-)

Date: Fri, Jan 31st, 2014 @ 08:18 ( . )

Generally there is nothing on track 36 unless it's a copy protection, so no worries.

Date: Tue, Feb 04th, 2014 @ 22:40 ( . )

Hey Pete,

I have a few disks copied which I'd like to contribute in the next day or two (a little over half of the converted g64s seem to be working). I have also scanned the disk itself along with any cover art and instructions I have.

I think the best way to get them to you will be to upload the lot to a server and then email you the ftp address. What is the best email address to reach you on?

Am I also right in assuming I can access any 'clean' nib files you have (especially my game disks with weak or bad reads)?

Cheers,

Rob

Date: Wed, Feb 05th, 2014 @ 18:20 ( . )

Hi Rob,

peter (at) c64preservation.com

You can attach up to 25M per e-mail, or put on a hosting site. Whatever you prefer.

Thanks!

Date: Wed, Feb 12th, 2014 @ 06:42 ( . )

Hey Pete, did you get my email a couple of days ago? There's a link to some downloads there. :-)

Date: Wed, Feb 12th, 2014 @ 12:45 ( . )

Got them- they are all good reads so far except for a few. That is to be expected with ~30 year old disks.

Date: Wed, Feb 19th, 2014 @ 06:15 ( . )

Hey Pete, I've sent you a couple of emails recently. Are they coming through? Cheers.

Date: Thu, Feb 20th, 2014 @ 21:17 ( . )

Sorry, catching up on e-mails. I had minor surgery early this week.

Author:Nate (guest: search)
Date: Sun, Feb 09th, 2014 @ 00:57 ( . )

On 01/30/2014 @ 23:30, indiehouse wrote :
Okay, my parallel connection seems to be working wonderfully with ZoomFloppy.
:
: Just one thing I'm noticing… so far I have 'nib read' a bunch of disks and they're all showing problems on Track 36 [E2S16]. Is this usual or would it suggest a fault with my hardware (given it's happening at the same place each time).
:
: Should have some stuff to email through soon. ;-)
--

Track 36 and above are usually blank, so you can expect some errors there just due to random magnetic flux. Compare a known good, unprotected disk to the one you're concerned about. If both have similar errors on track 36, you can know it's just because it's blank.

Date: Wed, Feb 12th, 2014 @ 06:47 ( . )

Now that I've done a bunch I'm noticing that trend. There are the odd few that have 41 tracks in use... but pretty rare.

Thanks for the clarification, Nate. BTW, is that your ZoomFloppy I'm using... it's fantastic! ;-)

Author:Nate (guest: search)
Date: Tue, Mar 04th, 2014 @ 14:07 ( . )

Yes, I'm the designer. And I chose the name, too. :-)

Jim Brain did the board layout, manufacturing, and sales. There is no financial connection between us, as I figure that he has the harder problem (ongoing support). I just want to see as much data as possible archived.

Thanks for the compliment, and I hope you enjoy it.

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q211=1716212568 - Threads: / 1716212568