'Are nibtools in Windows x64-version avai'
Author:Nate (guest: search)
Date: Sun, Feb 12th, 2012 @ 17:29 ( . )

Is there a good reason for an x86-64 build? The only OpenCBM release I've done is 32-bit, so a 64-bit nibtools wouldn't work with it.

I guess Spiro's latest alpha builds of OpenCBM would work with it. But doesn't he include nibtools now?

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Sun, Feb 12th, 2012 @ 18:16 ( . )

There is no advantage to x64 that I know of for this application.

Author:jabberwookie (registered user: 6 posts )
Date: Mon, Feb 13th, 2012 @ 14:55 ( . )

There may be no advantage, but on an x64 system I have to install the amd64/x64 version of OpenCBM 0.4.2a. And the (recent) 32bit nibtools application just gives me the above stated error. It may be possible for a 32bit application to use the underlying 64bit version of OpenCBM, but apparently it doesn't work, or even start. And I just wanted a recent version of nibtools to work with my environment. Btw, is there a more recent version of OpenCBM than the 0.4.2a on Spiro's homepage to be found anywhere?

Date: Mon, Feb 13th, 2012 @ 15:09 ( . )

You can install the 32-bit binaries for OpenCBM x86 version on x64 Windows- it works fine.

I would grab the binaries from Spiro or Nate's page. Even if you don't have a ZoomFloppy, you can install his build manually.

Date: Tue, Feb 28th, 2012 @ 12:01 ( . )

There is no way to install the i386 OpenCBM drivers on a Windows 7 x64 system. I have to use the amd64/x64 version of OpenCBM drivers for an x64 system. Or does it install on your x64 system? OpenCBM 0.4.99.94 drivers seem to work the same as old 0.4.2a. Still I cannot use latest nibtools and get the same error message. I guess I have to stay with nibtools-0.7.7-amd64 from Joe Forster's homepage. Thanks for trying.

Date: Wed, Feb 29th, 2012 @ 11:39 ( . )

The official 32-bit version works on Windows 7 x64 just fine here.

I think if you compile it yourself, you might run into a problem where the driver is not signed and it won't work for that reason.

Date: Wed, Feb 29th, 2012 @ 15:27 ( . )

It's not a signing problem. I know I still have to use F8 to disable the driver signature enforcement. When I try to install the 32-bit version of OpenCBM with "instcbm" the "Driver version" always shows "COULD NOT DETERMINE VERSION", no matter what. Even Microsoft states that "Device drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows won't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows". Only the 64-bit drivers of OpenCBM install correctly.

Date: Wed, Feb 29th, 2012 @ 15:59 ( . )

If you compile them yourself, yes. I assure you, if you download the package from Nate's site, they work, and they are 32-bit.

Date: Thu, Mar 01st, 2012 @ 06:41 ( . )

You are only partly right, Pete. I still have to install the amd64/x64 OpenCBM drivers on an x64 system. But thanks to your suggestion I found out that I have to install 32-bit OpenCBM drivers AS WELL. Then the 32-bit opencbm.dll and its companion DLLs are copied as well, which are required for the 32-bit version of nibtools. ONLY THEN it works on an x64 system! So I installed both opencbm-0.4.99.94-amd64 and opencbm-0.4.99.94-i386. It was the missing 32-bit opencbm.dlls that caused nibtools to show this cryptic error message. Now it works. But still the x64 OpenCBM drivers are necessary. The 32-bit cbm4wdm.sys is not used on an x64 system, as all system drivers need to be 64-bit. Just as Microsoft stated.

But I can't seem to pass plugin-options to the plugin. E.g. when I try to install with "instcbm.exe xa1541 --cabletype=xm1541" the cable type parameter seems to be ignored and the "Driver configuration" only shows that "Cable type" is "auto (-1)". It seems options/parameters are not passed to the plugin. Or just instcbm shows it wrong. Anyway, it works now. Many thanks again to both of you, Pete and Nate. Now I can use latest version of nibtools again :-)

Author:Nate (guest: search)
Date: Fri, Feb 17th, 2012 @ 01:10 ( . )

The ZoomFloppy 2.0 build of OpenCBM is here:

[link]

It's pretty much the same code as the more recent OpenCBM alpha distribution, although a bit older.

[link]

Date: Tue, Feb 28th, 2012 @ 12:05 ( . )

Thanks for the links. How come I couldn't find the link to the OpenCBM alpha drivers on Spiro's page? Or is this direct link a programmer's secret? ;)

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q166=1716212555 - Threads: / 1716212555