'The Challis protection'
Author:hyper active (registered user: 296 posts )
Date: Thu, Jan 27th, 2011 @ 00:15 ( . )

This protection is designed by Andrew challis of Interceptor Micros, hence Why I have decided to give it this name.
It can be found on games such as Big trouble in Little China, Driller, Diamond, Enduro racer, eye, fire track and about a dozen more.
Contained in the code is the usual anti piracy rant. "Hello hacker, hope you have fun with this disk. I would like to point out that what you are doing is highly illegal, so
go away or go to jail!"
The protection uses an $AC signature on track 41. This track has no sync signal.
Some drives can be really choosy about the type of data that can be read on tracks 40 and 41. If the Data can't be read, the game won't load. My friends 1541 drive will not load the game because it cannot properly read the data and neither can my commodore 128 with built-in drive, however the game will work on my 1541.
I have run into these problems with 2 other protections, both of them use signature bytes on track 40, Para protect and version 1 of the Cyan Loader.
I've seen other games with the Challis protection where the signature track has been written out in a slightly different manner, making it compatible with more drives, (IE: firetrack)
ps: Andrew also designed a Scheme used in Cassette tape loaders called Wildload.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

'The Challis protection'
Author:Fungus (registered user: 20 posts )
Date: Wed, Feb 23rd, 2011 @ 00:43 ( . )

If he created Wildload, I would just assume call it Wildload Disk, or WildDisk.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q41=1716129236 - Threads: / 1716129236