'ZoomFloppy to be demoed at ECCC 2010'
Author:Nate (guest: search)
Date: Thu, Sep 16th, 2010 @ 14:21 ( . )

Jim Brain and I will be demoing the ZoomFloppy, a new device for accessing Commodore floppy drives from a PC via USB. The firmware, known as xum1541, has been available since fall 2009 for those who want to build their own board, but the ZoomFloppy is the first device that will be a complete product offered for sale.

The ZoomFloppy has a number of features beyond simple disk access, which is implemented in OpenCBM. It can also nibble protected disks using a parallel cable and nibtools. It is software-upgradeable and some very interesting but secret features are planned for the future.

I am bringing a laptop with nibtools and a 1541 with a parallel port installed. It has a batch file that automates the process of nibbling. Attendees can just plug in a USB stick and hit a key to get an image of their floppy.

So bring your rare floppies to be backed up. All images will also be sent to C64Preservation.com for archival unless you request otherwise.

[link]
[link]

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Author:hyper active (registered user: 296 posts )
Date: Thu, Sep 16th, 2010 @ 22:43 ( . )

Hi there.
This may seem like a strange question, but Does the zoom floppy device need to be operated from within the device itself? What I mean is: does the device have a little display and some function keys that navigate you through a menu system? or is it all controlled through the pc?
Thanks.

Date: Wed, Sep 22nd, 2010 @ 02:13 ( . )

On 09/16/2010 @ 22:43, hyper active wrote :
Hi there.
: This may seem like a strange question, but Does the zoom floppy device need to be operated from within the device itself? What I mean is: does the device have a little display and some function keys that navigate you through a menu system? or is it all controlled through the pc?

No, it's all controlled from the PC. The device just has an LED to show it is active but you can ignore it. Think of it just like a USB cable connecting your drive to the PC.

Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Sun, Sep 19th, 2010 @ 20:29 ( . )

How was the show?

Date: Wed, Sep 22nd, 2010 @ 02:14 ( . )

The show was a blast. First Commodore show I've been to and obviously a great group. Here are slides and I will post pics later:

[link]

Author:hyper active (registered user: 296 posts )
Date: Sat, Oct 02nd, 2010 @ 02:37 ( . )

wow. thats amazing. I hope this hardware will help read and remaster those tricky protections like vorpal-newer and spiradisc.
So does this mean I dont have to stress out my commodore 1541 drive, I can use this new fangled zoom floppy thing instead?

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q71=1716215627 - Threads: / 1716215627