'Is this a bug in aussie games or nibtool'
Author:hyper active (registered user: 296 posts )
Date: Wed, Jun 02nd, 2010 @ 23:00 ( . )

Hello there.
when I try to remaster aussie games side 1 and then load the game, the head keeps bumping at random intervals and the game stops loading. It's as if an invisible hand is holding open the drive door for a few seconds, then closing it again.
Sometimes I might be lucky and the game loads without any problems, but most times, the head bumps and the game freezes.
I tried nibwriting side 1 to both sides of the disk, and I get the same result if I flip the disk and try to load up what's on side 2, so I know it's not the disk itself that's failing.
Here is the original nib file of side 1 of aussie games, and here is what I've tried with nibwrite
nibwrite d:ausAussie Games (Side 1).nib
nibwrite -g d:ausAussie Games (Side 1).nib.
Hope you can help.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Date: Wed, Jun 02nd, 2010 @ 23:02 ( . )

oops, sorry, I meant the message to go to the tools section.

Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Thu, Jun 03rd, 2010 @ 08:15 ( . )

Most likely the tracks are too long for your drive speed, so it's truncating needed data. You can try slowing your drive motor.

Date: Sun, Jun 20th, 2010 @ 23:14 ( . )

Hi.
A bit of investigating seems to indicate that these errors are not part of the copy protection itself, but instead, they are genuine disk faults.
Pete has also just confirmed that side 1 and side 3 of aussie games does indeed have errors. The original disk that the person sent in must be faulty.

Date: Mon, Jun 28th, 2010 @ 22:25 ( . )

g'day.
I was able to fix side 1.
What I did was to convert side 1.nib to a .d64, This took out a lot of the errors, but not all of them. Next, I used nibwrite to write it to a disk
then I copied the weak bit from track 1 from the nib file to the disk. This enabled me to get to the waltzing matilda screen, but I was still unable to load up the first event because tracks 25 sector 0 and tracks 26 sector 0 had errors.
Luckily, tracks 25 through 30 in the nib file were error free
so what I did was to re-write tracks 25-30 from the nib file to the disk. Bingo. side 1 is all fixed up! Hurrah!
All I have to do now is fix up side 3.

Date: Mon, Jun 28th, 2010 @ 23:00 ( . )

Hi again, just a word of warning, even with all the fixes, side 1.g64 will not work on vice, or even hoxs64, but it may work on ccs64, I've yet to test it out on that emulator though.

Date: Tue, Jun 29th, 2010 @ 01:51 ( . )

side 3 of aussie games works, I just tested it out.
Peter thought both side 1 and 3 were broken, Maybe he meant side 2? there is a problem with the boomerang event, but that's not a disk error, it's a design flaw within the game itself, my sighted assistant says the picture is all blurred and distorted, I tried downloading a cracked copy and loaded up the boomerang event and she says the picture is all wrong in that version as well.
anyway peter, Here's my fixed version of side one of aussie games and you can replace the faulty side 1 in the next gamebase version.
Cheers.

Date: Tue, Jun 29th, 2010 @ 02:19 ( . )

whoopsy daisy, something went wrong with that dump. Here. Try this one instead.

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q110=1716220265 - Threads: / 1716220265