'WinVICE with 1541 sounds'
Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Sun, Aug 02nd, 2009 @ 14:11 ( . )

I made a patch for this a long time ago and though I'd offer it out to anyone wanting to try to implement something similar.

The samples aren't great, but they're OK. I recorded them myself from a real 1541 twist-door drive with a Logitech USB mic, 45 degrees off axis from the center of the spindle on an open drive. They are kind of loud, and there was also some noise I tried to remove with audacity, but that caused some odd aliasing. I left it that way because the aliasing was better than the 60Hz hum. :)

I would submit it to VICE, but I won't waste their time, as it's a bad hack for many reasons. Mainly, it's not cross-platform compatible and just uses Playsound() calls directly from drive.c (included in archive).

I also included the "seek" sound, but can't get it to play reliably without further abstracting what the drive "is about to do". The calls for head step are always called to step one track only, so you'd have to put in a timer to see if it had been called very recently and play the seek instead. I couldn't get this to work reliably. Instead, the regular click sound is played repeatedly. If the head moves very quickly, this is distorted because of the way Playsound works. :(

Grab it (and make a better version than I did) from [link]

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q33=1716209973 - Threads: / 1716209973