'Rapidlok Findings'
Author:bluebirdpod (registered user: 28 posts )
Date: Mon, Jun 01st, 2009 @ 10:42 ( . )

Well wouldnt that be nice, to get the source code, that would sure unravel the inner workings!, So whats the next step. Was rapidlok copywrited ?, we need more details, It can be done without names. But this late in the game who really cares. I mean we know who wrote V-max!, and Vorpal. Since rapidlok was not solid and was copyable, It would allow more in depth reverse engineering. Heck what would be the holy grail is the preauthoring software that would produce the rapidlok. Wonder if he has the source code for all seven variants, or more if available. I wonder if after V7 was there any work done to develope V8 and remove the file system, that was the whole drawback that the entire file system was intact, and allowed the hackers easy access to removing rapidlok and making it fully filecopyable. Most other protections create a hidden file system with hidden directory structures, Like EA stuff.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

'Rapidlok Findings'
Author:danattacker (guest: search)
Date: Tue, Jun 02nd, 2009 @ 02:04 ( . )

I don't really know much about rapidlok or the c64 in general. I just played games on it when I was a kid. I did have a conversation about rapidlok with my dad a few months ago. I think the last one they worked on was V7. If there are other versions after that, then they were done by the publishers. My dad said that it took a team of software engineers a year to figure out how the code worked and said that it was "magic" code. Anyways, my dad is on a trip right now and won't be back for a week, but I can try to get some more info out of him when he gets back.

'Rapidlok Findings'
Author:Womo (guest: search)
Date: Sun, Jun 07th, 2009 @ 09:41 ( . )

This is good news danattacker.

Pete, what about preparing another interview article and trying to find out, if danattacker's father and his friend are willing to give an (anonymous) interview about history, development, the key features as well as other features and so on.
Note that I won't be able to support with this since I'm under heavy work load.

Womo

'Rapidlok Findings'
Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Sun, Jun 07th, 2009 @ 11:39 ( . )

Sure thing.

Dannattacker- let me know if your father would like to participate.

'Rapidlok Findings'
Author:Nate (guest: search)
Date: Sun, Jun 07th, 2009 @ 14:20 ( . )

Neat, hope this pans out. Dan, you can see a previous interview we did with Jim Drew here:

[link]

'Rapidlok Findings'
Date: Mon, Jun 08th, 2009 @ 05:51 ( . )

I'll ask him if he wants to do the interview. The only problem is that I don't think my dad really keeps in touch with his friend anymore, but we'll see.

'Rapidlok Findings'
Date: Tue, Jun 09th, 2009 @ 01:32 ( . )

I think he will do the interview, but I need to know how the interview will be conducted (via online chat, questionnaire, telephone, etc.). Thanks.

'Rapidlok Findings'
Author:swolff (registered user: 26 posts )
Date: Wed, Jun 10th, 2009 @ 01:37 ( . )

This is really great news! I revisited RapidLok some months ago (thanks to Pete, who supplied me with a dfi-file) and finally got to where I believe I understand it completely (FWIW, what I didn't realize was that the 8-bit weak-byte counter is meant to wrap). As a protection, it's much harder to follow than, say, Vorpal.

[Reminds self to check the c64preservation bbs more often]

'Rapidlok Findings'
Author:swolff (registered user: 26 posts )
Date: Thu, Feb 18th, 2010 @ 02:22 ( . )

I'm hoping this interview is still going to happen...

Pete, do you have "danattacker"'s contact information?

'Rapidlok Findings'
Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Thu, Feb 18th, 2010 @ 08:45 ( . )

Unfortunately, he went dark after this thread.

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q162=1714742267 - Threads: / 1714742267