'Having some trouble...'
Author:DonM (guest: search)
Date: Fri, Mar 14th, 2008 @ 09:49 ( . )

Okay, I finally finished adding a parallel port to my 1541 and made an XMP1541 cable. I remembered that my sons PC has a parallel port so I didn't need to throw a PC together (from old parts) after all. His PC runs Vista.

So I connected the 1541 to his PC and installed OpenCBM under my account (which is the Administrator acct). When I run the command "cbmctrl reset" the 1541 resets as it should. However, when I run any other command, such as "cbmctrl status 8" or "cbmctrl detect" the drive is not recognized. I triple-checked the XMP cable and it is definitely wired correctly. I double-checked my C64 parallel port and everything looks like it's wired correctly. I can't really test it with a multimeter because I put shrink-tubing over the wires at the legs of the chip to make sure they wouldn't touch. But all the wires are soldered to the correct legs of the VIA (U3).

Is there a program I can use that will tell me if the port and cable are wired correctly? Does OpenCBM run in Vista? I was thinking about booting from a FreeDOS CD and running mnib from there but unfortunately it requires a bit of work because of the way the FreeDOS LiveCD is set up. So I figured I would ask here first to see if anyone had some other suggestions first. If I try to run mnib it completely freezes the PC. Here are the errors I get when running some commands in OpenCBM:

C:NIBTOOLS>cbmctrl status 8
99, driver error,00,00

C:NIBTOOLS>cbmctrl detect

C:NIBTOOLS>cbmctrl open 8 15 I0
open: The system cannot find the file specified.

Also, I've tested all my originals on a real C64 and fortunately all but one seem to work - ie. they get to the loading screen. The only one that doesn't, as I mentioned before, is Gauntlet. I must have had trouble with that disk in the 80's because I had used my Action Replay cart to snapshot it and had the snapshot on a separate disk. Playing from the snapshot works (using the original disk for levels) and all the files on the disk appear to be fine. It looks like only the protection is messed up. I have to run an error scan on it to make sure, but if nothing else it will help verify one of the other images that are already in the database.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

Replies:
--* Having some trouble...
3/14/2008 @ 12:07--DonM
3/14/2008 @ 13:10----Pete Rittwage
3/14/2008 @ 15:10------DonM
3/14/2008 @ 17:39--------Womo
3/14/2008 @ 20:27----------DonM
3/16/2008 @ 09:57--------Rixa
3/16/2008 @ 10:16----------Womo

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q38=1716214044 - Threads: / 1716214044