'Printing C-64 Programs'
Author:Kevin (guest: search)
Date: Wed, Jun 02nd, 2010 @ 14:26 ( . )

I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought I'd try this board...

Is there any way to print (or preferably create PDFs) of the Commodore 64 BASIC program listings? I know it's an odd request, but I have lots of printouts from way back and rather than scanning them, I'd prefer a pristine file copy that preserves the special C-64 characters.

I guess the first problem would be getting them from the disk image and fed into something to create the PDF. I'm not a programmer, so I wouldn't know where to even begin.

I use both Mac and PC, so either platform would be fine if such a thing exists.

Thanks.

REPLY: [With No Quote] --- [With Quoted Text]

'Printing C-64 Programs'
Author:Pete Rittwage (registered user: 558 posts )
Date: Wed, Jun 02nd, 2010 @ 16:39 ( . )

Hi Kevin,

I've forwarded your questions to my friends at GB64. I know that they do type-ins and I think someone has a method of OCR and cut/paste that works. I'll let you know what they say.

Pete

'Printing C-64 Programs'
Date: Thu, Jun 03rd, 2010 @ 04:23 ( . )

On 06/02/2010 @ 16:39, Pete Rittwage wrote :
Hi Kevin,
:
: I've forwarded your questions to my friends at GB64. I know that they do type-ins and I think someone has a method of OCR and cut/paste that works. I'll let you know what they say.
:
: Pete
:
--

Thanks, Pete.

In case you need more info, here's what I'm trying to do:

Many (some?) commercial programs were written in BASIC -- Sword of Fargoal and Telengard come to mind. I of course have the images to these programs and can 'list' the programs.

I would like to be able to extract the BASIC program files from the disk images and dump them into a PDF file while preserving the original PETSCII graphics (some of which indicate screen functions or characters that have been redefined in the program).

If this isn't feasible, an alternative would be to convert the PETSCII graphics into "commands" like the old Compute! magazines did.

For example, if you wanted to clear the screen, you'd see an inverted heart in the quotes of a PRINT command in the program listing. Physically, this would mean the user hit the CLR/HOME key. So, seeing {CLR/HOME} would indicate this -- like {SHIFT A} or {COLOR 5}, etc.

I'm probably making it sound more complicated than it is. The bottom line is that I want to read the BASIC parts of Telengard and Sword of Fargoal (and any others I discover aside from Compute! programs, which I already have the magazine scans) from a PDF.

Thanks again for the help.

'Printing C-64 Programs'
Date: Thu, Jun 03rd, 2010 @ 04:37 ( . )

Sorry, forgot to add this link:

[link]

'Printing C-64 Programs'
Date: Thu, Jun 03rd, 2010 @ 08:18 ( . )

Oh, OK- you are asking the reverse of what I thought.

I've never heard of anyone doing that, so you are probably in uncharted territory.

'Printing C-64 Programs'
Date: Thu, Jun 03rd, 2010 @ 09:15 ( . )

Pete,

FYI and just in case anyone is following, I did find a program that does (almost) what I want. I'm usually pretty good at finding stuff, but must have been off my game yesterday.

The program is called DirMaster and is located here:

[link]

It will export program listings into .bmp, so it shouldn't be too hard to cut it up and turn into a PDF.

There are some others out there that appear to do the same thing, but I haven't tried them yet.

I should have researched it a bit more before posting. :-)

'Printing C-64 Programs'
Date: Thu, Jun 03rd, 2010 @ 14:47 ( . )

Hi Kevin,

Here was the answer I got back. It converts both ways, it would appear.

----

I think TOK64 is what you seek:

[link]

"TOK64 converts ascii text file representations of Commodore basic program listings into program images suitable to run on a C64. It also converts basic programs back into ascii text listings."

Full instructions are included in the downloadable file.

Let me know if it did the trick Smile emoticon

B/Rgrds
Dimitris Kiminas

'Printing C-64 Programs'
Date: Fri, Jun 04th, 2010 @ 01:19 ( . )

Thanks. This also looks like what I wanted. Seems there are various programs that do this (and compatible with each other, too).

'Printing C-64 Programs'
Author:Womo (guest: search)
Date: Sat, Jun 05th, 2010 @ 13:57 ( . )

Kevin,

please have a look at the VICE emulator (WinVICE). It also contains a helper program named petcat.exe which is intended to convert between BASIC 2.0 and many other dialects and standard ASCII text. Special characters and control characters are converted into descriptors enclosed in "{}" (can be suppressed with option "-nc"), if I remember right.

Furthermore the emulation of VICE knows about virtual printers that export printer otuput files. These can be converted into Postscript with a little helper tools from an external conttibutor, see here:
[link] Resources

And converting a .ps PostScript file into a PDF is a non-issue, isn't it?

Womo

'Printing C-64 Programs'
Date: Sat, Jun 05th, 2010 @ 15:10 ( . )

Womo,

I use VICE quite a bit, but hadn't noticed that part of it.

Thanks for the info. I'm checking it out now.

Kevin

--- 0 Users Online --- 0 Recent Unique Posters

Q116=1664332962 - Threads: / 1664332962